Cutting ties from a normal office environment can be quite daunting. This FastCompany article (which came into my inbox about a week before I went the self-employed route) gives six tips from those who made it as freelancers:
- Have a financial plan from day one (business plan and financial goal)
- Spend wisely (business cards before bar stools)
- Cast a wide contacts net
- Put the right price on your time (is the project worth it?)
- Learn to delegate (outsource your timesinks)
- Make sure your name is top of mind (plant a seed for what you offer)
Well worth reading.